Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Another Step Down (or up?)

I received word today that our documents were dropped off at the US Consulate in Guangzhou (pronounded gwahn-joe, fka Canton)!!  There is a standard processing time of 2 weeks before they are ready to go on to the next step, which is to Beijing to issue our Travel Invite.  It's just the process, no speeding up or slowing down, it is what it is. 

We applied for our travel visas.  I dropped them off at the home of an adoptive parent who started a business that takes care of paperwork for families adopting and also offers travel visa service, authentication for other countries too.  Here's her link:  There's Always Hope.  She lives in the suburbs of Joliet and a quick trip down I80 for pickup and delivery is quite worth the fee she charges, and the peace of mind.  We should get those back next week.

This is the car seat I purchased yesterday because Target had a fab price on this Britax.

I figured saving $150 and getting this one was a great decision.  Britax has a reputation for being one of the best on the market, so that sold me--along with the many recommendations from some of my forum friends, plus it's just cute. 

Another great email I got this morning was a picture of our 2nd care package to Jadyn.  This will be delivered in the next few days.

Disposable camera, panda, blanket, translated letter and a box of Mooncakes.  Hopefully we will get some pictures of her daily life.  They will be so precious to her when she is older.   The Mooncakes are for celebrating the Moon Festival.  I will do a post on that soon.  There is so much tradition and symbolism in the Chinese culture and while we don't embrace superstition and ritual type things, we do plan to celebrate, culturally, Jadyn's heritage. 

Time to go fix the dishwasher, and then start my Great Wall Training Program (aka-Swallow Cliff Steps).  There a few things in life that we know we do or don't want to do.  One thing I am sure of is, when touring the Great Wall--I DO NOT want to say that I was too out of shape to climb to my heart's content!  This is the Great Wall of China, people!  Not trying to be judgemental for those of you who chose not to make it as far as they could--just a personal goal.

Happy Tuesday!



3 comments:

Ann said...

Still following your journey and love hearing every little detail. LOVE the carseat. We have a Britax and they are wonderful...very easy to install, too. As for the Great Wall, you will have to do some serious training because the steps are steep, uneven and tall. I am very out of shape and we almost died climbing 20 or 30 to get onto the wall itself. Our English guide said he did it once and felt it was worthwhile, albeit incredibly difficult.

Amy said...

Glad things are moving along! Good luck at Swallow Cliff! I should have tried that :) I have to say, coming down was way worse - legs were shaking like crazy! Hope the girls can meet when you get Jadyn home

Grace said...

Nice choice on the RA50 - and it's light enough to fly with too! ;)